We all know that “beginning of Fall” feeling. When the weather starts to cool down we often start to slow down ourselves, making it easier to skip a workout or indulge in one-too-many pieces of Halloween Candy. This Fall season, Aliat encourages you to continue that Summer momentum and take these 7 steps to complete the Fall Health Challenge.
- Eat Pumpkins. No, we don’t mean Pumpkin Spice Lattes (more on that later). Half a cup of pumpkin seeds contain 92% of your daily recommended magnesium. In addition, one cup of cooked pumpkin contains more than 200% of your daily Vitamin A, which helps with eye sight. Try throwing pumpkin seeds into your favorite salad or making a smoothie with fresh pumpkin.
- Get A Flu Shot. We get it, needles can be scary, but the cost of missing work and school (not to mention 7-10 days of being sick!) is much more terrifying. Different strands of the flu can come around each year so it is important to stay up to date with vaccinations.
- Exercise Outdoors. Take advantage of cooler weather and try exercising outdoors. Fall is the perfect time for outdoor activity as the temperatures outside become more bearable yet are still clear of rain clouds. Grab your family and friends for a fun game of flag football or enjoy a local hike.
- Be A Smart Sports Fan. The start of Fall brings football, friends and food together. Chowing down on nachos and beer can be a fun treat, but this season challenge yourself to provide some healthier options for the fans. You can make burgers and nachos with lean turkey instead of beef or opt for veggies and hummus instead of chips and dip. *Bonus: if you choose to drink, have at least one glass of water between drinks to cut down on calories.
- Skip Halloween Candy. Ok, we’re not saying you can’t have one or two pieces of candy but there are ways to avoid eating a whole bag. Instead of buying candy right when it hits supermarket shelves, wait until a day or two before Halloween. This will help avoid binging on fun-sized snacks while having a scary movie marathon.
- Don’t Get Caught Up on PSL’s. Pumpkin Spice Latte’s are everyone’s favorite holiday treat. Starbucks’ PSL contains 380 calories and 50 grams of sugar in just one 16oz drink. If you can’t resist the sweet treat limit yourself to just one a week. On other days, opt for a black coffee or an americano with just one pump of pumpkin flavoring (Starbucks recipe has 4).
- Get Back Into A Routine. As the days get longer and the spontaneous summer escapades end, the perfect opportunity for restarting a new routine arises. Take advantage of early sunset times by getting to bed earlier and get a full 8 hours of rest. Sleep is vital to our brain and body function. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time, even weekends, to train your body to get a better night’s rest.